How are you 14 years old today? It really is shocking at how fast time goes by us. I can still remember the way it felt when you fell asleep on my shoulder when you were a baby. I can remember vividly the fist time you ate a chicken taco, and the joy that washed over your face when you realized there was something beyond baby food. I remember how you walked into pre-school like you owned the place, threw a passing glance over your shoulder at me and started to play. I also remember the deepest, fiercest love bubble out of my heart when I saw your face for the first time.
For sure you have had to ride a roller coaster in your short time hear on earth. I often wish I could have shielded you from the pain you felt when me and daddy split up, or from all the times you had to witness me having a crazy panic attack. But then I see how real the Lord is to you and I am reminded that for all the pain you felt you also got to feel the restoration. You got to see God restore me and daddy’s relationship right before your eyes. You have also gotten to witness a very imperfect mom try to do life in a way that honors God, and not in a way that causes everyone to run and hide from her. And those miracles that happened right within our walls Sydney? Those are special from God just for you. And that is why He is so real to you. If you had to feel some pain to get there, I am ok with that. (And by ok, I mean not ok, wishing I could wash you memory of all the boneheaded things I have done, and changing your memories to include a mother that was perfect, but remember I’m still a work in process.)
I absolutely love that you have been saying all week, “I can’t wait to read my birthday blog post.” Do you have any idea how happy that makes me? I love that our family culture now includes this blog. So, your birthday post is going to be about how cool you are. You know when I tell you that you are the coolest person I know and you say, “No, I’m not, I am not cool at all…” Well I am about to prove you wrong today. The following is a list I have compiled over the last month of things that make you the coolest person I know. And listen, I have been the coolest person I know for quite sometime so the fact that you unseated me is quit a feat, and makes you super cool. Ready?
- You are cool because you fight for Daddy and I to go on a date night. I love that when you sense me and daddy getting annoyed with each other you stop everything and tell us to go out together. You are gift to us, because I don’t know any kids that fight for their parents marriage like you do. You are fierce.
- You are cool because you listen to 70’s rock. I loved the look on your guitar teachers face when you told him that is what you wanted to learn to play. You are the real deal in a world of fake music, and cheap hooks.
- You are cool because you learned the Hamilton sound track in 30 days. A person that loves 70’s rock and the Hamilton sound track is so cool!
- You are cool because when you love something you are all in. There is no “on the fence” with you. That is legit because God will use that to His advantage.
- You are cool because your Birkenstock, t-shirt, short’s game is on point, on fleek, 2 legit to quit. In a world of exposed butts, you choose to keep yours under wraps. Thats good because no dude worth having wants his girl walking around with her butt hanging out of her shorts.
- You are cool because you know where your worth comes from. You know it is not your cup size or pants size, it is because you were created by the God Himself, special for this day and age.
- You are cool because you will do what it takes to share your faith with your friends.
- You are cool because you love animals.
- You are cool because you already know you are going to parlay your love of animals in to a job.
- You are cool because you already know how you are going to use your job as a vet to help people.
- You are cool because in a world of Texas Tech Grads, you boldly declare that you are going to vet school at A&M. (I will never wear maroon, no matter how cool you are.)
- You are a cool friend. I will never forget the day you got in the car after tennis tryouts and said, “It went fine, but I didn’t get a chance to show off my skills because I wanted to help my friend who has never played tennis do well.” I was all, “WTHECK? This is your chance to make the team, why would you do that?” Then God pointed out to me that you were acting more Godly in that moment than I was. Thanks for that lesson in how to be a cool friend.
- You are cool because you love Chick fil a. You are totally devoted and loyal. I hope you work there so you can support your habit of eating there all three meals a day.
- You are the coolest student I know. The way you don’t love the school aspect of school but you buckle down and get your stuff done resulting in straight A’s is the coolest. You have a fierce endurance that the Lord will use because guess what? Life is about doing things you don’t really want to do.
14 year old girl, we are so lucky to call you ours. You are my favorite part of the day. I love to watch you and see you grow. I happen to think you are absolutely perfect just the way you are. As you enter your high school years the world will encourage you to conform and live for the low lying fruit. Don’t go there girl. You have so much more to offer. And as our friend Christy Nockles says:
Hey there beautiful one, you there shining with glory
Would you let your heart hear, if I sang about you
Did you know that every fairy tale you love
They have borrowed your story
Of a maiden so lovely, and a hero so true
It’s just that this world is hollow
And it wants to swallow
Any memory of who you really are
Always remember to never forget
When you look in the mirror, the answer is yes
Yes you are pure as gold, yes you are beautiful
So always remember to never forget
Today we gave you your birthday present and I will never get tired of watching this video…….
And also this one of you telling your BFF that she is going with us to Hamilton….
Sydney you are the coolest person I know. I just love you to pieces. I love that you are excited to go to see Hamilton but even more excited that Lexi gets to go with us. You have such a sweet and kind heart. I hope when life kicks you around you come back to this list and remember how cool you are. I am your biggest fan!
Love, mom. (and dad helped too.)